Friday, February 24, 2012

4. In Athens for errands


Saturday February 25th 2012


I am in Athens for a few days trying to take care of some paperwork and other errands for my trip back to the U.S. in March. I don’t have my ticket yet but I think I will be traveling around the 10th of March. Being in Athens is not easy, having almost no place to eat outside of  my Aunts home. She is very kind, understanding and  tries to feed me the way I need to be fed, even though it goes against everything she was brought up to believe. We are in Greece after all and if you don’t wake up having a piece of pork or spinach pie in your mouth, you just have not had breakfast. She is worried about me and feels I am making my conditions worse by not eating everything in site. I hope I can prove her wrong. I wish I did not have to prove her wrong because I would love to stuff my face with some spinach pie right about now. So normally when I am not in Athens I live on the island of Chios. It is very quiet in the winters and not very touristy in the summers, over all it is a quiet island, my island.
I am able to follow my diet easily there because I also try to grow my own food. My family owns some land there  and we are able to grow our own onions, broccoli, cauliflower, arugala, spinach, tomatoes and peppers which I can’t eat and a bunch of other stuff. We also have a fruit trees, olive trees for our oil (thank God for that) and also a variety of wild herbs spices and greens that are picked in the mountains. This is all good because there are things that are not available in the super markets they way they are in the U.S.
For example, you can’t find kale here because people don’t eat it. As well as swiss chard, bock choy, brussel sprouts and others. When I did see asparagus at the market it was so ridiculously priced that I just laughed (7.50 euro for a small bunch). The upside is my lemons are free, as well as my oranges and soon I

Yesterday I found some sweet potatoes at a market and so they will be on the menu for a couple of days.
Trying to stick to things that I know wont hurt me, then I will work my way onto a list of stuff that I need to test because I am just not sure if they are OK. I will make that list and try to post tomorrow.




Diet of the day

8:30 am
2 slices of pineapple
1 banana
2 tangerines

10:00 am
wakame salad with lemon
1 small boiled sweet potato

12:30
1 orange 4 dry figs

2:30
curly red leaf lettuce & cucumber salad w/ ginger & olive oil
1 medium sweet potato

4:30
a bowl of vegetable soup- carrot, celery, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, olive oil, salt pepper, ginger powder & cumin powder.

6:30
a bowl of soup same as above
a banana, kiwi, pineapple smoothie

9:30
salad- red leaf curly lettuce, scallion and red radishes, topped w/ olive oil & lemon
4 dry figs

Disease update
Skin is starting to smooth and flaking is much less. Certain spots on my forarms and elbows starting to look paler. Unusually higher pain in feet ankles and wrists. Thumbs and low back still hurting but no more then yesterday. Lungs are same as yesterday with shallow breathing still present. Very little itching in the eyes and not very red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment